Postfix is the most common mail server used to send and receive emails. It is a free and open-source server that is why it has become a top choice of the users. In this article, we will go through installation of Postfix on the Ubuntu 20.04 system.
Installation of Postfix
To install Postfix in your systems, follow the steps given below:
- Open up the terminal window using the Ctl+Alt+T shortcut. Once done, you need to update the packages. Type the following command and then press the <enter> key from your keyboard.
$ sudo apt update
- Once the apt repo is updated, we will be installing Postfix using:
$ sudo DEBIAN_PRIORITY=low apt install postfix
DEBIAN_PRIORITY is an environment variable used to configure many options that are additional features and are used alongside the regular Postfix features.
Press the <enter> key. You can see the following output.
- The installation process will now begin. Carefully go through the Mail Server Configuration types and then opt for the Mail Server you want to keep. Press the Enter key to proceed.
- The system will ask you the type of mail configuration. Choose the Internet Site option and then select Ok by using the <enter> key from the keyboard.
- In this step, users need to choose the System Mail Name or FQDN. Here I will be adjusting my name so I have typed bushra.com. Hit the <enter> key to continue.
- Now, choose your Root and Postmaster Mail Recipient. Here, users need to notice that it could either be the same as the username. I will be keeping it as [email protected], once you have typed your press the <enter> key.
- Now select all of those emails you want your mail server to be capable of accepting. Once done, press the <enter> key.
- The system will ask if you want to force the synchronous updates on mail queue? Select <No>, then press the <Enter> key
- In this step, you have to provide the local networks. These could be modified as per your requirements. Once done, press the enter key.
- You need to set up the limit of the mailbox. We will be specifying the total size of the mailbox. By default, its value is zero.
- Now you have to set the Local Address Extension Character. The default value is +. press the Enter to continue.
- To choose the internet protocol, use the arrow keys. Once done, hit the enter key.
- The process of installation will begin quite similar to the one displayed below:
The download process will be time taking so make sure that you do not exit the terminal window.
This marks an end to the installation process and the output displayed in the previous image indicates the same.
In this article, we explored the method of installation of Postfix on the Ubuntu 20.04 system. We then did the configuration to send and receive the emails in an accurate manner.
Karim Buzdar holds a degree in telecommunication engineering and holds several sysadmin certifications including CCNA RS, SCP, and ACE. As an IT engineer and technical author, he writes for various websites.